Thursday, September 4, 2008

Is Sarah Palin the next Deborah?

Let me begin by affirming that God can and has put women into positions of highest public authority. However it seems to me that this fact of providence has clouded the judgment of many evangelicals regarding the nomination of Sarah Palin. A number of prominent evangelicals are raising their arms in triumph over her nomination. They seem to believe that she is the answer to all that ails America; she has been lauded as a tough-minded reformer, pro-family and even pro-Christian. Their logic seems to be:

  • God has appointed women to positions of highest authority in the past
  • The best (most like us) candidate in this years election is a woman
  • Therefore we have the responsibility of supporting this ticket so that she will be elected as the next vice president

I do not share their enthusiasm. We cannot control or even know God’s providential will; and it would be dangerous to presume anyone as God’s anointed. As I see it, my responsibility is not to try and divine God’s sovereign hand, but to vote according to the principles clearly articulated in Scripture. For the church this election, as far as I am concerned, is a referendum on sola scriptura. Will we as the people of God make our decision based solely upon God’s word or will we allow our pragmatic presumptions to win the day? God has given clear direction concerning the nature and responsibilities of men and women and how we fit together in the order of creation. He has the right as creator to override those basic distinctions but we do not – we must live before the face of God obeying what He has revealed. What has God revealed that is pertinent to the nomination of Sarah Palin? Today I will provide what I believe is an important fact that must be remembered when considering why God might put a woman in a position of national authority. Tomorrow I will articulate the two truths from Scripture that have led me to the conclusion that I cannot in good conscience vote for John McCain and Sarah Palin. As an aside I want to make it clear that I will also not be voting for Barak Obama—as far as I’m concerned the issue of life trumps all other political considerations.

I believe we must recognize the fact that sometimes God put a woman in power as a sign of national decline or as an outright judgment. I believe the story of Deborah is actually an example this. She lived during the time of Judges, a time of great rebellion and ignorance. I don’t think we would consider this time a great representation of a godly nation or people. The story of Deborah is not just a story of God working through a great woman, but God working despite the cowardice and weakness of a man. Barak was called by Deborah to go out and fight on behalf of his people but he refused. Instead he indicatied that he would not go unless Deborah went with him. Deborah agrees but says to him:

“I will surely go with you; nevertheless, the honor shall not be your on the journey that you are about to take, for the Lord will sell Sisera into the hands of a woman.”

I see great contempt in the words of Deborah. Here is this man refusing to go to battle on behalf of his people. God then magnifies his cowardice by allowing a woman to defeat the enemy of God’s people. Yes, Deborah was put in a position of power but I think we must recognize that all was not right in the world. We could rejoice in her great leadership but we should also lament that there were no men to stand up and fight for their nation.

I want to make it clear that I am not saying that if Sarah Palin is elected it is a sign of God’s judgment. I am saying that before we uncritically rejoice in her nomination we ought to at least wonder why God would divert from the order (we will look at this tomorrow) He established in creation. Could it be that we have reached the point as a nation where there are no men of character left to lead us?

3 comments:

Candace/Chloe said...

Thank you, Dirk! This may open another can of worms, but through our study, we see that Deborah was married, but there is no mention of children. So, our assumption is that she was not a mother.

Can you expound on this....if only in the comments?

Kristen said...

my greatest concern is whether or not (and I think not) she can fully live out her role as mother while having such a demanding job, but I am not concerned w/ applying Scriptural principles of church leadership to a position in the civil magistrate. unfortunately, my reasons for not voting McCain came long before he added Palin to the ticket, and didn't do enough to compensate.

Kristen said...

he seems more in favor of Palin than I am, but Mohler had some good thoughts on this issue in his blog post a couple days ago.