Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Psalms, Hymns and Spiritual Songs

One of the great things about Together for the Gospel is the singing. This morning we sang two hymns that were not familiar to me but I instantly fell in love with them. Here are the lyrics:

How Deep the Father's Love by Stuart Townsend
How deep the Father's love for us, how vast beyond all measure,
that He should give His only Son to make a wretch his treasure
How great the pain of searing loss, the Father turns His face away
as wounds which mar the chosen One bring many sons to glory.
Behold the Man upon the cross, my sin upon His shoulders.
Ashamed, I hear my mocking voice call out among the scoffers.
It was my sin that held Him there until it was accomplished.
His dying breath has brought me life. I know that it is finished.
I will not boast in anything, no gifts, no pow'r, no wisdom;
but I will boast in Jesus Christ, His death and resurrection.
Why should I gain from His reward? I cannot give an answer;
but this I know with all my heart, His wounds have paid my ransom.
I Asked the Lord by John Newton
I asked the Lord that I might grow in faith and love and ev'ry grace,
might more of His salvation know and seek more earnestly His face.
'Twas He who taught me thus to pray, and He I trust has answered prayer,
but it has been in such a way as almost drove me to despair.
I hoped that in some favored hour at once He'd answer my request
and by His love's constraining pow'r subdue my sins and give me rest.
Instead of this He made me feel the hidden evils of my heart
and let the angry pow'rs of Hell assault my soul in ev'ry part.
Yea more with His own hand He seemed intent to aggravate my woe,
crossed all the fair designs I schemed, humbled my heart, and laid me low.
"Lord why is this," I, trembling cried; "Wilt Thou pursue Thy worm to death?"
"Tis in this way," the Lord replied, "I answer prayer for grace and faith."
"These inward trial I employ from self and pride to set thee free,
and break Thy schemes of earthly joy that thou may'st find thy all in me."

2 comments:

Kristen said...

we sang "how deep the Father's Love" at Good News....I love that one.

Anonymous said...

John Newton, slave ship captain, sinner, saint and hymn writer. May it be that our legacy of sin might be turned in such a manner to the praise of His glory.